Why Discord Camera not Working and How to Fix it – How can you fix your webcam not working means your Discord camera is not working? Well, you will know what the causes are and why the Discord camera is not working and how you can quickly fix this problem.
If you don’t have a discord account then create a discord account. I am going to share the most effective methods that will be helping you to get rid of this issue and make a good video call, chat with others in the Discord community.
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Why is the Discord camera not working?
Are you seeing a black screen instead of a video while chatting with your friend in Discord? In some cases, Discord may not be detecting the user’s webcam. However, other users have stated that they see the black screen even though Discord detects and appears to be able to access their cameras.
If this is the first time the Discord camera is not working, you can do some preliminary testing. Here we have listed them to follow these.
If you encounter a Discord Not Detection camera, whenever you want to chat with friends on Discord, first try to start your camera and then launch Discord.
- Make sure that your camera is properly connected to your PC, especially when you are using an external webcam. And check the cable if it is inserted properly into the USB port and try to reconnect it if possible.
- If you are using an external webcam, then you have to check that your camera is off or On, you can easily check that because there is a button on your webcam that allows you to turn On or Off your camera easily.
- You can also use another and different webcam if your webcam is not working on Discord.
- If the above simple methods fail to fix Discord videos not working, then proceed to several of the following solutions.
There might also be another program interfering with your camera. For example, your antivirus app or firewall may be preventing it from working properly, or another app may already be using the camera.
For example, if you have a zoom or Skype video call that you forgot to turn off in the background and the camera is being used, at that time you will not be able to use it with Discord. Your webcam only uses one app at a time.
If you see a black screen in Discord, even when your camera appears to be available, your Discord software installation may be corrupted. Or you will be using the older Windows 10 build version.
Now we are going to show you guys in detail below how to fix step by step Disorder cameras, so you must read this carefully till the end.
How can you fix the Discord camera not working
If you want to fix the Discord camera problem that frustrates you whenever you want to do video chat with your friends, now, you don’t need to worry at all, because we have explained all we can do to stop it or fix this camera problem quickly.
Possible steps are mentioned, so read carefully till the end.
Allow Discord to Access Your Camera
You know that Windows 10 has a lot of features that enable you to set many privacy-related settings. For example, there may be microphone and camera settings that control which apps can access the camera or microphone in your computer.
To do that you have to follow the steps below that allow Discord to access your camera and it may fix your problem.
- First of all, you have to press the Windows key + I and click on Privacy to open the Settings app.
- Then Scroll down the left pane in the App Permissions section, making sure the toggle is under Allow Apps to Access Your Camera.
- After the Continue scrolling down, and then choose which apps can access your camera and toggle to the Discord app.
- At last, you can restart your computer and check if the Discord camera is working or not.
Update Your Webcam Drivers
If it has been a while since you have updated your hardware, you will need to check whether the driver on your camera is out of date and you need to update the webcam driver.
Updating the webcam driver can fix the camera in your Windows computer. You can receive updates manually using Device Manager. You can do this using Device Manager by following the instructions below.
- First, you have to press the window key, then type device manager in the search bar.
- You can then see the results you searched for, then click on Device Manager from the list of search results.
- After that, you have to look for your camera in the list of devices.
- Then just right-click on it, then choose Update Driver.
- This will prompt your computer to search for the latest drivers for your camera and install it on your computer.
- While you are at it, it is also recommended that you update your graphics driver to ensure that you do not run into other errors when using the Discord app.
You can also use a third-party app for updates if necessary. Note that most third-party apps are not free. These programs automatically search for updates and allow you to update all your drivers with the click of a button. While not free, the best options among them are worth the price.
You can also use Auslogics to make a single driver update free of charge. Each subsequent driver update will take longer, extending the time required to wait for the update. This is not correct, but at least you can use it for free.
Turn off Hardware Acceleration in Discord
Some users reported that they are not fixing the Discord camera by disabling hardware acceleration. Hardware acceleration is a feature that routes some tasks to your GPU to improve performance.
This method is suitable for those who are using the Discord desktop app. If none of the other options listed above worked for you, try it.
Now, follow the steps below to disable hardware acceleration that can fix your bickering camera problem.
- First of all, you have to launch Discord on your computer and click on the gear icon under the user app settings section.
- Then, you have to click appearance on the left side of Discord’s window to open the options shown directly below.
- Hardware acceleration option Discord camera is not working, then you have to turn off the hardware acceleration option.
- Finally, click on the Just OK button to confirm.
Update the Graphics Driver
If even after using the above steps your Discord camera problem does not get fixed, you can also try resetting your computer after the driver update. If your camera driver update does not help, perhaps the GPU update will occur.
You know that your graphics card is responsible for displaying pictures on your computer screen, so it makes sense that it could be responsible for any visual bugs or problems. Or, there is a problem or bug in the GPU.
If you are an NVIDIA user, you have to go to the official download page, and then select your graphic card series, OS, etc. and finally you have to download the latest update of the GPU. If you use AMD graphics, you will need to visit their official drivers and support page. There, you can select your graphics card and get the update you need.
You can also use Radeon or NVIDIA dedicated graphics software, which will automatically update your graphics drivers.
Change Your Default Camera
If it is set as the default camera, you may fail to use your camera in Discord as it may be used in the background by another application and may not be available for Discord. In this case, changing your default camera to another (which you do not want to use) may solve the problem.
- Exit Discord and make sure that none of the processes related to it are working in the task manager of your system.
- Change your default camera to another camera (which you do not want to use).
- At last, you have to open Discord and check if it can use the camera normally
Reinstall the Camera Driver
If the camera driver is not properly configured, out of date, or corrupted, your camera may not work in Discord. In this case, if you reinstall the driver, the problem may be resolved.
- Update your system drivers and windows to the latest build.
- Now, check if Discord is working fine. If not, opt-out of this and make sure that there is no running process in your system’s task manager.
- Now, disconnect your camera from the system. Then click in the Windows search box and type This PC.
- After that in the results, you have to right-click on this PC, and in the sub-menu, you choose Manage.
- Then choose Device Manager in the left pane of the window and then, you can see expanded Imaging Devices in the right pane of the window.
- Now, right-click on your camera and then you have to select Uninstall Device.
- After that, you have to check the option of Delete the Driver Software for this device and finally click on the Uninstall button.
- Now, restart your system and install the latest camera driver on your device.
- After that, connect the camera to your system and configure it if prompted.
Now, you have to open the Discord app on your device and check if the camera issue is fixed. If the problem has not been resolved, then you can install the Snap Camera application via Snapchat that may help you.
Also, you can use another application that creates a virtual camera driver. Then use this virtual camera with Discord to check if the issue has been resolved.
Close all the background app
If doing all of the above steps has not fixed your Discord camera problem, then you should use it. The main reason for the Discord camera not working is found to be a common cause that your camera is used in the background by other applications, so it is not available for Discord. In addition, killing unnecessary background programs would give Discord more resources and prevent potential conflicts. To stop the background application follow the steps given below.
- To open the task manager, first press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously.
- Then, select the Background app and click End Task to close it. Also, you will have to repeat this process until you have closed all background apps.
- After doing all this, you have to open the Discord Camera to check.
If the above solutions are not effective to fix the problem, you may need to reinstall the Discord application. A useful general solution is to reinstall Discord for resolving this kind of problem. This is because a corrupt installation of Discord or older Discord versions can cause many problems. Follow the steps below to reinstall the Discord application.
- First, Exit the Discord altogether.
- Then, press the Windows logo key + I simultaneously and click on Apps.
- Find Discord and click to expand it. Then, click on the uninstall button.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the run box and then you have to type% appdata%.
- After that, find the Discord folder and delete it.
- Then open the run box and type %LocalAppData%.
- Finally, find the Discord folder and delete it.
Then Restart your computer after doing all the steps go to the official Discord website and download the latest version of Discord. Finally, you can again Install it on your computer and try the camera.
You see your camera is on in Discord but it’s not working and showing a blank screen. Probably you’ll see either a black screen or nothing displayed on your side. It means that your camera or a webcam is not working or not detected by Discord.
So, if you have this question why is my discord camera not working and want to fix it, then I would recommend please follow the above steps to fix it quickly.
I have explained one by one everything you need to know and resolve this problem in easy steps.