AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400 CPU Comparison – Users that prefer a new processor as opposed to Intel can opt for a good streaming and gaming capability. We are comparing AMD Ryzen against i5 8400 in its capacity and user satisfaction. The prices have mild differences but might fluctuate depending on supply, demand, and availability.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 specifications
Before comparing let us see what details we can stumble upon.
- 6 CPU Cores
- 12 Threads
- The Base Clock is 3.4 GHz
- The Max Boost Clock can be up to 3.9 GHz
- The total L1 Cache 576 kb
- Total L2 Cache is 16 MB
- Unlocked is available
- The CMOS 12 nm FinFET
- The Package is AM4
- The PCI Express Version is PCIe 3.0 x 16
- The Thermal Solution is Wraith Stealth
- Default TDP/ TDP is 65 W
- The max temperature at 95 degree Celsius
- The Operating System supports Windows 10 with 64 Bit, Edition, RHEL x86 64 Bit. It also supports Ubuntu x 86 64 Bit, and it will vary depending on the manufacturer.
- The system memory type is DDR4 and there are 2 Memory Channels. The system memory can go up to 2933 MHz.
To understand AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400 better, here are the features for Intel:
- There are 6 Cores
- 6 Threads
- The processor base frequency is 2.80 GHz
- The max turbo frequency is 4.00 GHz
- There is a 9 MB Intel Smart Cache in this Intl processor
- The bus speed of i5 8400 is 8 GT/s
- You get a TDP of 65 W
- There are no embedded options available in the Intel 5
- Depending on the type, the maximum memory size comes to 128 GB
- It is a DDR4-2666 memory type
- The maximum number of the memory channel is 2
- The Intel has a max memory bandwidth of 41.6 GB/s
- The ECC memory is not supported in i5
- The graphics of this processor is Intel UHD Graphics 630. This is an added advantage when checking AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400
- Intel graphics base frequency comes to 350 MHz
- Intel graphics maximum dynamic frequency is at 1.05 GHz
- The i5 graphics video maximum memory comes to 64 GB
- The i5 supports 4k at 60 Hz
- The Intel HDMI is 4096 x 2304 @ 24 Hz
- The maximum resolution for i5 (DP) is 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
- The Maximum resolution for i5 (eDP) is 4096 x 2304 @ 60 Hz
- The DirectX support of the i5 processor is 12
- There is an openGL support with 4.5
- The Intel has a Quick Sync Video feature
- It has InTru 3D Technology feature
- The i5 also has Intel Clear Video Technology as well as HD Technology for the same
- The i5 supports 3 displays
- In expansion option, there is scalability with 1S Only
- It is a 3.0 PCI Express Revision
- The PCI Express Configuration of the i5 goes till, 1×16, 2×8, 1×8 + 2×4
- There are a maximum of 16 number PCI Express Lanes
- There is a 1 Max CPU Configuration and the Thermal Solution Specification is PCG 2015C, at 65 W.
- Now, getting into the advanced feature, the i5 supports Optane Memory and turbo boost technology 2.0. However, there is no platform eligibility and hyper-threading.
- The i5 has VT-x, a Virtualisation Technology and also Virtualisation Technology for Directed
- i5 has an Instruction set with 64 bit
- The i5 has Instruction Set Extensions, Intel SSE4.1, SSE4.2, and AVX2, and also an Idle States
- The Intel 5th Gen also has Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology
- You will also find Technologies for Thermal Monitoring and Identity Protection
- In terms of security, there is a Secure Key, OS Guard, Execute Disable Bit, and Boot Guard.
Comparison AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400 Capability
Going by the specifications, you can understand how powerful the processors tend to be. i5 8400 has also proved to be a Hexa-core processor, providing you daily tasks ability and much more. You can consider gaming and a good amount of quality video editing while avoiding extreme tasks. However, the i5 cannot be overclocked like the AMD Ryzen 5 2600. Whereas it is possible for AMD processors but the overall expenses will increase when doing so.
The Ryzen processor is a feasible mid-range gaming choice. The user can get high-speed RAM for the sole purpose of complementing the usage. The frames delivered when streaming an online game reaches 100 frames per second faster than i5 8400. The i5 8400 has a drop in the frames delivered and the difference is vast.
This gives Ryzen an advantage in streaming and with less expense for the streamer. In terms of encoding videos to share from 4K to 1080p, the encoding time is faster in the AMD processor. The AMD Ryzen 5 2600 ran the encoding much quicker making it an easier stream. Unfortunately, the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 processor will require the user to get a graphics card. This might be a downside to many users.
This processor is distinctly good enough for a game. Users even use Ryzen 3, which is also capable of good gaming. In terms of streaming in AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400, Ryzen 5 is powerful. However, i5 being the 5th Gen provides you powerful processor with somewhat similar abilities and more price.
In terms of calculating expenditure, you can expect AMD Ryzen 5 2600 to be more budget-friendly. Keep in mind that this budget is for a high configuration need. You might also consider Ryzen 3500 from the market. AMD Ryzen 5 2600 however, is comparatively better in multi-tasking plus gaming.
However, paying for the amount of the processor without built-in graphics is a drawback to many. Users would prefer either a drop in the price or to avail the feature in that expenditure.
Intel and AMD User
Intel has had a reliable following from gamers and other users worldwide. However, the AMD approach with the Ryzen gave a good AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400 moments. User preference depends greatly on the manufacturer and the label. This is because we relate label and reliability.
Consider AMD Ryzen 5 2600 purchase mostly for smooth streaming for your games and multi-task. And consider i5 8400 for another set of powerful gaming, daily work, and added graphics bonus.
Now, either you can jump on board with a relatively new item in the market. On the other hand, you can stick to minimum exploring. You can go with what has always been a comfortable choice. Neither is wrong and only dependent on the user budget and immediate need.